Professional Webmasters Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google March Updates for Navigational Queries

Go down

Google March Updates for Navigational Queries Empty Google March Updates for Navigational Queries

Post  royal Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi Everyone,
There are a pair of updates regarding navigational queries :

Improvements to results for navigational queries. [launch codename "IceMan5"] A “navigational query” is a search where it looks like the user is looking to navigate to a particular website, such as [New York Times] or [wikipedia.org]. While these searches may seem straightforward, there are still challenges to serving the best results. For example, what if the user doesn’t actually know the right URL? What if the URL they’re searching for seems to be a parked domain (with no content)? This change improves results for this kind of search.
Better handling of queries with both navigational and local intent. [launch codename "ShieldsUp"] Some queries have both local intent and are very navigational (directed towards a particular website). This change improves the balance of results we show, and helps ensure you’ll find highly relevant navigational results or local results towards the top of the page as appropriate for your query.

On that second one, I did a search for the word “twigs.” When my location was set local to my hometown, Google showed results for a local restaurant named Twigs at the top of the results page. When I changed my location to New York City, it showed an East Village hair salon named Twigs. Results related to actual twigs (branches) were further down the page. If that’s what they’re referring to, this is an interesting change.
royal
royal
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.infradoctor.com

Back to top Go down